Even if risk assessments are not mandated by law they form the basis of risk management actions and are an essential component of an overall safety management system.
Risk assessments should include pilots, who might be able to mitigate identified risks by including specific steps in their preflight checklists or preventive maintenance procedures.
One aspect of a systematic risk assessment is the evaluation of payload related risks. Payloads can be many times more valuable than the drones that carry them. Some types of payload can also significantly add to the risk of missions.
- Missed opportunities to mitigate risks and prevent accidents or negative environmental and community impact.
- Contracts with 3rd party drone service providers which do not address risk mitigation issues adequately.
- Review past overall risk assessments for the inclusion of risks related to in-house drone operations.
- Review past overall risk assessments for the inclusion of risks related to 3rd party drone service providers.
- Review drone specific risk assessments for drone types and payload types in current use.
- Review existence and progress of risk mitigation plans related to risk assessments.